Ireland’s tour to Pakistan has ben called off due to recent terrorist attacks which took place in Karachi this Sunday. Pakistan’s busiest airport was attacked by militants which was followed by another attack on the security camp in Karachi just a few days later.
Ireland were scheduled to play three games in September, but the recent terrorist attacks have forced Cricket Ireland to call off the tournament.
“There had been a preliminary agreement to play three games [in Lahore] subject to a security review,” said a Cricket Ireland spokesman.
Pakistan haven’t hosted any international tournament since March 2009 when a touring Sri Lankan team was attacked by militants.
“With the recent tragic events are Karachi airport, the series will now be deferred to a later date,” concluded the Cricket Ireland statement.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said that the agreement for the tour to take place was close to final.”The Ireland team was due to play three one-day matches in Lahore in the first week of September and a lot of efforts had gone into convincing them. But all efforts have gone in vain again,” said PCB spokesman Agha Akbar.
Security issues always have been Pakistan’s Achilles heels due to which Pakistan has suffered. Earlier, former South African batsman Herschelle Gibbs and New Zealand all-rounder Jacob Oram who were supposed to take part in a domestic T20 tournament refused to tour the country after the terrorist attack in Karachi. At the same time, PCB had also invited Sri Lanka for a short tour which now seems to be cancelled due to the devastating attack which shocked Pakistan.