Sixth time’s a charm! The Guyana Amazon Warriors’ victory in the CPL T20 2023 was a long time coming. The franchise had reached the final five times before but had always fallen short. This time, however, they were determined to make things right.
Both Trinbago Knight Riders and Guyana Amazon Warriors had well-balanced teams and managed to make it to the final of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL T20) 2023. Both sides had a solid mix of experienced and young players, and they were led by their experienced captains, Kieron Pollard and Imran Tahir respectively.
The Amazon Warriors finished top of the regular season table, and they qualified for the playoffs in style. They won their first playoff match convincingly, and they carried their momentum into the final.
The final against the Trinbago Knight Riders was expected to be a close contest, but the Amazon Warriors ultimately had too much firepower in the bowling department which made things look easy for the new champions. They bowled out the Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan’s Trinbago Knight Riders for just 94 runs, thanks to a great spell by Dwaine Pretorius who took 4 wickets. In the reply, Guyana Amazon Warriors chased down the target with ease with a superb knock by young Pakistani left-handed batsman Saim Ayub (52) assisted by Shai Hope (32). They won the final by a massive margin of 9 wickets.
The Amazon Warriors’ victory was a special moment for the franchise and for Guyana. It was the first time that a Guyanese team had won a major T20 tournament, and it was a fitting end to a successful season for the Warriors.
The Amazon Warriors’ victory is also a testament to the growing popularity of cricket in Guyana. The Providence Stadium was packed for the final, and the fans created a fantastic atmosphere. The Amazon Warriors’ success will undoubtedly inspire more young people in Guyana to take up the sport of cricket.
Guyana Amazon Warriors vs. Trinbago Knight Riders Match Summary
Trinbago Knight Riders 94 all out
Guyana Amazon Warriors (14/20 ov, T:95) 99/1
Guyana Amazon Warriors won by 9 wickets (with 36 balls remaining)
- Shai Hope won the Player of the Tournament award for being the leading run-scorer this season, amassing 481 runs at an average of 53.44.
- Player of the match award goes to Dwaine Pretorius for his amazing spell of 4/26.
- The Biggest Six award goes to Rahkeem Cornwall for clobbering a 110-meter six.
- Alex Hales won the award for the highest individual score.
- The best bowling figures go to Waqar Salamkheil (4/14 versus Barbados Royals).
- Shai Hope wins the highest run scorer of the season award.
- Rahkeem Cornwall won the Celebration of the Tournament award for his iconic bat-drop celebration.